December 27, 2013

Winter's Trek


Below is a poem I wrote a few years ago.  Although it’s old, I think it’s fitting for the season.  I hope you all had a great Christmas, and wish you the best for an amazing start to 2014!

         I

As the winter winds begin to blow,
and as the trees casts shadows on the newly fallen snow,
I feel the wintry gusts fill my very heart and soul.
Is it the wind I fear, or something much more near?
I wonder. 

         II

I walk along the snow-laden path,
thinking of the fire in the hearth at home
and my heart fills with glee at the prospect of a warm bed,
dispelling everything of fear of menace, leaving warmth.
Oh yes, the winter winds blows near, but I am safe and that has made all the difference.

         III

When I was a child, I think, I was simple-minded,
as I walk through the snow.
Life and death seemed like a game to me,
as if handling a ball of fire and never getting burned.
I laugh at my ignorance and self-absorbance as make my way along the snowy path.
The feeling of comfort fades, but its light is still dimly seen through the bows of the trees.

IV

Again, my fear grows.  Old fears and suspicions rise.
Home is nowhere in sight.
I gasp, faltering to the ground.
Is it ever going to end, I wonder.  Is this unceasing cold all I am ever going to know.
“No, I tell myself.  The light of home is just around the corner.  Keep pressing and you’ll find it.”
I get up and walk a few more paces. 

V

There it is!  Home at last.
My joy soars.
I run towards the glittering lights in the windows.
Yes, I am truly home.  Let the winter winds blow,
for I am home…Fears and self-doubts melt away, 
leaving me with a joyful feeling of
home and family.

0 comments - Post a Comment:

Blogger template 'Purple Mania' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP