July 12, 2013

A Dilemma

Today, I read an interesting article about Warren Hill, an intellectually disabled man who has been sentenced to death in Georgia for the murder of his girlfriend.  When I hear stories such as these, I’m personally faced with the age-old moral dilemma.  Should individuals who do not know right from wrong be held to the same punishment as those who do?

As a firm believer in our law, I think the crime should definitely fit the punishment, but I equally think that a person’s mental capabilities should be closely examined.  It is certainly stated in the Bible that “Thou shall not kill,” but does that mean no matter the circumstances?  Should a person’s mental abilities be considered?  I also believe in God’s mercy and forgiveness; His omnipotence in all matters.  Should that be applied to these situations as well? Thought provoking, isn’t it?

I’m not trying to make a political statement here; I just felt compelled to sort out my own feelings on this subject.  Here is the link to the article in question http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/warren-hill-execution_n_3586872.html.  Feel free to post comments or opinions.

On that note, have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

0 comments - Post a Comment:

Blogger template 'Purple Mania' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP