June 27, 2012

Changes to Come


Today, I had the opportunity to read essays written by local students who ranged across the grade levels of primary school and, let me just say, it truly amazed me!  These writings opened my eyes to the changing attitudes about those who have disabilities from when I attended school; a long time ago, I admit.  I read phrases such as “no one should be treated different just because of the way they’re born,” and “so next time you see a person with disabilities, remember to have a good attitude because who knows?  Maybe your smile can change their confidence.”  Let me tell you I was totally in awe!  Hooray for these kids!

Back when I attended school, especially middle and high, there was a stigma attached to the differently abled and I felt the sting of it everyday.  Let me say it made a lasting impression on my psyche.  Unfortunately, it took me years to overcome the pain and hurt.  Now, as I read these essays, I feel a surge of excitement about the accepting and caring approach that these children exhibit.  What a breath of fresh air!  Perusing the essays served as a beacon of hope to me for our future generations.  It excites me to imagine what is to come!

3 comments - Post a Comment:

Anonymous

Hope's spot on about "changing attitudes." This year's batch of essays from the UCP/SchmidtKramer Attitudes Essay contest were powerful and often poignant as the students wrote about their personal experiences with people in their lives who have some type of disability... and the power of a positive attitude when faced with a challenge. You can read the winning essays at www.ucpcentralpa.org

Hope, I'm glad they left you feeling hopeful for the future.

Lynda

Lisa

As one of the contest judges, I was privileged to read a collection of this year's entries. I was very impressed with the sensitivity, insight, and maturity that was evident in many of the students' writings. Hope, I second your hooray for these kids! I'm so glad you had the opportunity to read the essays, especially since your own story had a profound effect on many of these young writers.

Keith

Lynda shared this post of yours with me. I believe that you are right that students attitudes have changed for the better. Last year I had the opportunity to read essays similar to those you read this year. It was great to read about their positive perspectives!

Keith

Blogger template 'Purple Mania' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP