June 21, 2012

Church


Last night, I had the privilege of attending a Mennonite church service with my friend, Alta.  Once again, as I prepared to go, I had the old, gnawing feeling of being different from everyone else.  This time, though, my curiosity overrode my fear, and I decided it was a great opportunity.  I knew I would remember and treasure it forever.

As we entered the church, heads turned to witness our arrival.  It struck me how these complete strangers smiled and nodded.  They even came up to me to ask my name!  As we proceeded through the service, it amazed me that this community was the same as my own, yet different.  I did not feel uncomfortable, like so many instances.  After, many of the ladies engaged me in conversation.  I have attended many church services throughout the years, but my hunch was correct; I had been presented an opportunity of a lifetime.  I will always remember how these kind people reacted to a complete stranger, and welcomed her with opened arms.  Everybody, I think, should follow their example.

1 comments - Post a Comment:

Jmlatin

Its disappointing this is not the norm, but rather the exception. However, I am glad (but not surprised) that you were welcomed into your friend's church family with open arms.

Blogger template 'Purple Mania' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP