July 28, 2012

Growing Old


     Here is a short story I wrote a few years ago.  Again, it tells of a life experience I had.  It gives words to the meaning of life.  Read and enjoy!

           
            Ever since the Spring semester, I struggled with the pace of my life, particularly the rate that I was going in receiving college credits.  It seemed like it would be an eternity until I would be done with college and be a “success”, I thought.  The months of my summer vacation seemed to drag.  “I could be doing something about it, instead of doing absolutely nothing for three whole months,” I quibbled.
            One hot early July morning, Sal, who had been my step dad’s best friend, called my mom and asked if I wanted a vat of his homemade, very Italian spaghetti sauce, or “sorce”, as he called it.  I love his accent!  This had been a tradition ever since we had known Sal.  My heart soared because I love absolutely love his spaghetti sauce!  “I’ll bring all the makings.” he said on the phone.  “I’ll be there in a half hour, an hour, tops!” 
An hour later, Sal came tottering up the sidewalk, both hands full of plastic grocery bags.  As he came in the front door, he called out, “Okay, let’s get this party started!”
                   I instantly noticed how Sal had aged.  Lines were there on his face that weren’t there before and there was slowness in his walk.  He moved around in the kitchen with slow persistence. 
                   “Oh damn”, he suddenly said, “I forgot the oregano.  I always forget something anymore!”
                   My Mom piped up, “I’ll get it, Sal.  I need to go to the store anyway.”  She scurried out the door.  His irritation seemed to vanish instantly as he plopped on a kitchen chair.  He patted my knee and asked, “So how’s it going, Hope?”  His face showed genuine interest. 
                   “Okay, Sal,” I said, “still working on my degree.  Unfortunately, I have a way to go yet.  It drives me crazy—all of my friends graduated and have jobs and are out in the world making a living while I’m taking two classes a semester!”  I shook my head in disgust.
                   “Hope, you just saw what happened here.  I forgot the oregano.  No big deal.  People get so caught up in what they haven’t done.  Yes, I got upset about the oregano, but what is the use in getting all distressed about it,” he said, “and you are so very young.  Don’t be in such a hurry and get in a web of worries because maybe you will never get out of them.   You’ll turn old before you know it.  Enjoy life while you can. Be forever present in the moment and that will bring the greatest joy to your life”.
                   I looked at this man—this man who had lived for eighty odd years, been through wars, watched his beloved wife die from cancer, was forced to move out of his house because he was “too old” and was subject to his daughter-in-law’s every whim.  “He’s still happy,” I thought, “happy to just be”. 
                   Suddenly, I realized that Sal had a message for me.  I looked at this man with new eyes and a new heart, for he had reminded me of an invaluable lesson that day.  I repeated his words in my mind.  “Enjoy life while you can and be forever present in the moment and that will bring the greatest joy to your life”.  I silently thanked Sal for these words of wisdom as we sat down to a fabulous spaghetti meal.

0 comments - Post a Comment:

Blogger template 'Purple Mania' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP