July 22, 2012

The Mennonite Way


Yesterday, I encountered a truly amazing experience.  I had the opportunity to visit with both of my friend Alta’s grandmothers.  It was a perfect afternoon for a ride and and I leapt to get a glimpse of this different and fascinating world.  All the way in the car, I anticipated what conversations we would have; whether I’d be confortable or not.  I already met the one grandmother, but hadn’t the other.

While I visited with one grandmother, then the other, it struck me how our minds conjure misconceptions without even our knowledge.  As long as I remember, I have vigorously fought people’s perceptions of me and tried to display my true nature.  Yesterday, I realized I was guilty of the transgression of labeling individuals.  To my pleasure, I found myself completely comfortable with both grandmothers, even enjoying myself.  Ultimately, they accepted me and I them.  What a refreshing concept!  The world, I think, would be a better place if we followed the Mennonite way, with total acceptance of others.  Maybe someday, that will become our inherant nature.  

0 comments - Post a Comment:

Blogger template 'Purple Mania' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP